Thursday, August 12, 2010

Who do I blame?

I made it no secret that M has upset me, any parent who cares about the well-being of their child would be upset in regards to teen pregnancy which is 100% preventable. My issues with M are not simply because she’s pregnant that is just the mechanism that fuels it.


We as parents try our best to teach our children the truths of life but a modified, watered down version. At least I tried, in an effort to spar my kids the harsh realities that life is often times harder than it seems, and many times good hard working people struggle.

This is what upsets me about M’s situation; first we’ve always had an open dialogue regarding sex, abstinence, and protection not just from pregnancy but from STD’s. I made sure she always knew she could come to me no matter what. I even made sure she was on birth control (which I gave her every single day) just for my own piece of mind although I always expressed my desire for her to wait until she was emotionally ready for sex.

As we all know for a women sex is much more than just the physical act. I believe even for boys it’s more than just physical they just mask it better.

I have been (stupidly) one of the “oh that won’t happen to my kid” kind of parents, well look it’s my kid. Who do I blame? TV sucks we all know that programs are full of teens having sex, usually no parents around at all, schools all over from elementary through high school kids talk about sex. M was in 5th grade and I can remember her talking about plastic colored bracelets girls wore so guys would know what sex acts they have done. Yeah 5th grade and that was 6 years ago.

So do I blame TV, kids or myself? I guess it’s a combination of all but I also have to place some blame on M. She knew the consequences and with the events leading up to the “I’m pregnant” (said in a nonchalant, it’s no big deal manor) lead me to believe she’d intended to get pregnant. Yes I believe my own daughter got knocked up on purpose. Hate feeling that way but it is what it is and if it looks like a duck…walks like a duck…you get the rest. Life goes on and this too shall pass.

After she left I cleaned up her room and found at least a month’s worth of birth control pills, the ones she swore to me she was taking. It is what it is and now we just have to move past it. I am slowing facing the reality that my baby is having a baby and even though I don’t agree with the timing, I have to face that reality regardless of how it came to be. I love my child and I will for sure love my grandchild also.

No comments:

Post a Comment